Nearly 70 Plaintiffs Challenging HHS Mandate
By Hadley Heath
This week, 43 Catholic organizations filed 12 different lawsuits challenging the HHS mandate requiring employers to provide health insurance plans that include coverage for abortifacients, sterilization, and contraceptives.
Along with other plaintiffs, who filed suits earlier this year, this totals 62 private plaintiffs and 7 states, nearly 70 in total. Here's a list:
- South Carolina
Colleges (that filed before May 21):
- Belmont Abbey College
- Colorado Christian University
- Ave Maria University - Geneva College
- Louisiana College
Other Organizations (that filed before May 21):
- Eternal Word Television Network
- Catholic Social Services
- Pius X Catholic High School
- Catholic Mutual Relief Society of America
- Priests for Life in Staten Island, N.Y.
- Legatus (organization of Catholic business leaders)
- Sister Mary Catherine, CK
- Stacy Molai
- Frank R. O’Brien of O’Brien Industrial Holdings in St. Louis
- William Newland of Hercules Industries in Denver
- James Newland of Hercules Industries in Denver
- Paul Newland of Hercules Industries in Denver
- Christine Ketterhagen of Hercules Industries in Denver
- Andrew Newland of Hercules Industries in Denver
Groups that filed on May 21:
- Archdiocese of Washington
- Consortium of Catholic Academies, Hyattsville, Md.
- Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington
- Catholic Charities of Washington
- The Catholic University of America, Washington
- Archdiocese of New York
- ArchCare, New York
- Diocese of Rockville Centre, N.Y.
- Catholic Health Services of Long Island
- Catholic Charities of Rockville Centre
- Diocese of Erie, Pa.
- St. Martin Center, Erie
- Prince of Peace Center, Farrell, Pa.
- Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh
- Catholic Cemeteries Association of Pittsburgh
- Diocese of Dallas
- Diocese of Fort Worth
- Franciscan University of Steubenville
- Michigan Catholic Conference
- Diocese of Jackson
- Diocese of Biloxi
- Catholic Charities of Jackson
- Vicksburg Catholic School, Vicksburg, Miss.
- St. Joseph Catholic School, Madison, Miss.
- De l’Epee Deaf Center, Gulfport, Miss.
- Catholic Social & Community Services, Biloxi, Miss.
- Resurrection Catholic School, Pascagoula, Miss.
- Sacred Heart Catholic School, d’Iberville, Miss.
- St. Dominic Health Services, Jackson.
- University of Notre Dame
- Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Catholic Charities of Fort Wayne-South Bend
- St. Anne Home, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Franciscan Alliance, Mishawaka, Ind.
- Our Sunday Visitor, Huntington, Ind.
- University of Saint Francis, Fort Wayne.
- Diocese of Joliet
- Diocese of Springfield, Ill.
- Catholic Charities of Joliet
- Catholic Charities of Springfield
- Archdiocese of St. Louis
- Catholic Charities of St. Louis